Translate

Sunday, July 6, 2014

4th of July Weekend

So, I spent the bulk of this weekend home alone. On Thursday morning, my brother, mother, and father packed up the car and drove down to my grandmother's house. I was totally invited and part of me really wanted to go see my grandma, but I ultimately declined because I needed some time to myself. Basically, I just hung out with the pets, watched movies, and got a lot of work done. As many of you may know, I have a beauty and lifestyle youtube channel and blogspot blog and I did a lot of filming, editing, photographing, and otherwise preparing some of the stuff that will be coming up this month on my channel and blog. (Self promo side note: there's also a beautythekat tumblr that you could follow.)

But anyway. This is how I spent my weekend!

After my family left on Thursday, I went to Hyvee to get some groceries. Back at home, I applied for a couple of jobs and did a bit of work. Eventually, I decided to walk to deals to see if I could get some project materials. On my way to Deals, I ran into the tiniest girls in our neighborhood. They're like four or something. Anyway, one of them walked up to me, carrying a little plastic bag full of petals, feathers, rocks, and other trinkets they found around their yard. She looked at me and said in her very small voice, "We're selling these for free. Would you like some? We're selling them for free." I almost told them that wasn't a very smart business model, but stopped myself. Instead I said, "Well, they're very pretty. But I'm on my way to the store and wouldn't have any safe place to keep them. Good luck!" So the little girls went their way, and I went mine. I got to Deals only to find it had closed down, so instead I walked to Walmart. Both are close to my house, but their in opposite directions. So I wound up walking quite a bit.

When I got back to my house, I found the baggie of trinkets on my front step.


When I got home, I was exhausted. And people around the neighborhood had started celebrating 4th of July early so I had to deal with random bangs and frightened pets. That night, I made myself twice baked potatoes for dinner. I got the vague outline of a recipe from my friends Becca and Megan but even though it isn't mine, I'll probably still share it with you guys sometime down the road. They're delicious. The twice baked potatoes, I mean. They even peaked Zoey's interest. 


That evening, I did some laundry and worked on projects. Friday morning, I folded the laundry (all towels) I did the night before and started washing my clothes. Unfortunately, I didn't get all of the towels put away before Zoey decided they were her bed. (In my defense, I got the main bathroom towels and the kitchen towels put away before they got cat-hair infected. It was just the parents' bathroom towels that will need a second cleaning.)


Plus: How cute is she? SO CUTE, right?

I spent the rest of Friday morning working on a blogpost and video that will come out in two weeks. I've disguised it a bit so as to not completely ruin the surprise, but here's a sneak peek! 


Then, I reheated some twice baked potatoes for lunch. I worked on some video editing, photo editing, and blogging. I also got several fashion blog posts queued up! I also got changed. It's officially July and, in the midwest that means it's HOT HOT HOT outside. And the look for my upcoming blogpost and video required a lot of layers. I was sweating bullets! TMI? Oh well! 

Then, I headed over to Red Racks to see if I could acquire some articles of clothing that I will need for a video scheduled to come out in early August. I had a lot of success, accentuated by a HALF OFF EVERYTHING IN THE STORE sale! I was so excited! I got two shirts that I will need for the August video, one shirt that I'm modified into a vest for the August video, a pair of capris that my mom's going to help me modify into shorts for the August video, a just run of the mill cute shirt, and two books for gifts for friends all for under $10.00! 


I spent the rest of the evening on Friday working on a present for Renee (AKA the love of my life) and watching season 2 of The O.C. I'll give you a little peak at it. Since it's more in depth than just this page, I don't think it will spoil it!


 On Saturday, I spent most of the morning baking and working on projects. Awhile ago, I got really into baking homemade sweet breads (like pumpkin bread or banana bread) and my brother started joking that I should make a "pumpkin tower." Which is basically a layered dessert: pumpkin bread, brownies, and pumpkin bars with a layer of cream cheese frosting in between each. Every time he would add more random layers. Pumpkin pie. Chocolate cake. Pecan pie. Banana bread. It's completely absurd, you'd have to bake so many deserts in order to make just this one dessert

Well, here's the thing. I love giving people things. And making people things. "Gift giving" is definitely one of my love languages. And I particularly love getting to give people unprompted surprises. So I decided to make the pumpkin tower to surprise them when they got back. It was until I was actually compiling the thing that I realized: this is so much sugar in one desert


Needless to say, the pumpkin tower should be approached with caution. It's super sweet. You need a huge glass of water to get through a slice. Also, this morning, Nash asked, "Do you think that slice of pumpkin tower I ate yesterday had more than a thousand calories in it?" And here's the really scary thing: that's totally possible. If each layer had 350 calories? WHICH IS TOTALLY FEASIBLE. The slice he had yesterday would be 1050 calories. That's so scary. 

The bit I had transformed me into the squirrel from Hoodwinked. I totally smashed it playing family nertz afterward, though I admittedly was crashing near the end of the game. Nash reckons he would have won if we went to 300 instead of 200.

Saturday morning, while baking that horrific delicious dessert, I also uploaded a video! It's a "Character Look: Captain America" video. If you haven't seen it, you should check it ouuuuuut! (It's right here!)

Saturday I also got the book F*CK! I'm In My Twenties by Emma Koeing in the mail. I've enjoyed it so far. It's such an accurate representation of my twenties so far.


This morning, inspired by visiting Arkansan Hippies over that weekend, my mother was wearing a very Eureka Springs outfit. She looked super pretty!



Then, I hung out with my brother. We went to a coffee shop to work, but before hand... he took fashion blog photos for me! We got yelled out by our neighbor's one angry dog and then found a disgusting tick that was about to burst with blood... but eventually we got the pictures taken!


Also: sorry for showing you that picture of the tick. It's super gross, right? CRAZY GROSS. Its tiny, little legs were practically too small to stand. Nash moved it out by the bird feeder so hopefully a bird will eat it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment