Translate

Friday, October 18, 2013

Whose Death Affected You Most in Deathly Hallows?

I saw a post once where someone posed, "I think you can tell a lot about a person by which character's death affected them the most in Harry Potter." And I think that's true.

But I also think there's lots of things that could tell you a lot about a person, if you considered them in conjunction with other things and other people. Maybe that didn't make sense, but my degree's in English not in Eloquence. Damn, a degree in Eloquence would be nice, wouldn't it? Right, but what I was saying is this:

There's probably a lot you can tell about a person based on...

  1. Their favorite color
  2. Which bathroom stall they choose in a vacant bathroom
  3. Whether or not they make eye contact with the people they pass in the grocery store
  4. What movies they watch when they're feeling nostalgic about their childhood
  5. The clothes they wear on Saturdays
  6. Which parent they think they look more like
  7. What recipes of their mothers they never dream of attempting
  8. The names of their stuffed animals
  9. How they spend their Sunday mornings
  10. The number of pillows they have on their bed
  11. What they say about their friends who aren't there
  12. The way they wear their hair
  13. How frequently they read books
  14. Which movies make them cry
  15. What TV shows they marathon
  16. Who they dress up like on Halloween
  17. Which bands they listened to in the 90's
  18. What flavor chapstick they buy
  19. How they look when they think they look hideous
  20. What stories and movies give them nightmares
And a lot of other things, too. And I think those things probably tell us a lot about ourselves, too... If we consider them. Maybe that's why questionnaires were popular on Xanga, Myspace, Facebook, and Tumblr. Maybe that's why tag videos are so popular on Youtube. Maybe that's why there are multiple issues of Coke vs. Pepsi, teenagers play truth or dare, and tween magazines include quizzes designed to show you which Jonas Brother or Backstreet Boy would be your perfect boyfriend.

Because, maybe, if you know that Hannah is my favorite of the Pretty Little Liars or that I ate cheesy rice for lunch or that Pottermore placed me in Ravenclaw then you'd know a little bit more about me. And a little more than just the fact that I watch Pretty Little Liars and like Hannah best. Maybe you could know that my best friend in elementary school was named Hannah, or that I prefer her style, or that I, as a chunky person, am more likely to have more affection for the formerly-chunky-girl.

Maybe I could learn more about myself through these seemingly trivial details, too. Maybe the fact that my favorite time is Christmastime or that my favorite season is Autumn or that Oz is my favorite character in Buffy The Vampire Slayer or that I love ABC Family's Holiday movies can teach me something about myself.

And isn't that all we really want? To understand ourselves and to have others understand us, too.

By the way, I'm not quite sure which death affected me the most in Deathly Hallows. I would say Fred's, but then I repressed Lupin and Tonks's. I don't know. It's a rough book, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment