Translate

Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Unreality I Woke Into

All I ever wanted was to be understood
And for awhile I thought that I found it:
A place where the hardwood floors felt familiar
Where I could fall asleep on the living room couch
Even with the front door unlocked
The sound of company chattering in the kitchen

When everything got misconstrued
I woke up in a nauseous haze
And the room looked exactly the same
Except entirely wrong
As though all the dimensions were just slightly off
All the pictures hung slightly lower on the walls.

Now I'm lonesome for the very spot where I'm standing
And every word that I use isn't quite the word I'd intended
Just close approximations, bastardizations of synonyms,
A confusion of homophones,
The right word carrying the wrong connotation.

Though I know you didn't mean to break my heart
And you know I never meant to be so broken

I can't quite figure out how to stand
In this unreality that I've found
Because the world is slightly tilted here
There are cracks emerging on the ground
Or perhaps along the bottoms of my feet
Fracturing near where my heel and ankle meet

As I wake in this place I wonder
Whether the change was it or me
Perhaps it can be chalked up
To a misconstruct of memory
Maybe my spine had never been aligned,
My soul always convulsing.
Perhaps the floors always bent that way
And only remembered them as safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment