Translate

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Weekend at Aunt Marci's

This past weekend, I went to visit my Aunt Marci. She lives about three hours away. Twice before I've gone on solo-road trips to visit my best friend, Alli, in Kirksville. It's about the same distance, but since this was the first time I was solo-travelling in the snow, my parents were a little extra cautious. (Side note, The Best Friend is in France right now and you can check out her awesome blog about it here.) My parents were "take a shovel, and some snow boots, and a sleeping bag, just in case..." cautious. But here's the thing about parents' worry: you should acknowledge their advice. Should you strike out on your own? Of course. Should you ultimately make your own decisions? Of course. But you need to hear them out, unless they completely suck--and I mean are-abusive-and-racist-and-sexist-and-genuinely-awful suck, not are-old-and-dorky suck--you should consider their advice. So, I followed all of my parents' instructions, because I would never want to ignore their advice and then put myself (their daughter) in danger. Okay, mini rant over and we can go back to my story.

I bought a GPS to make the drive easier. I get lost all the time, and since I was also going to be meeting up with a friend I didn't want to get lost somewhere unfamiliar. Plus, it's really just going to be nice to have.

And I stocked up on car-ride treats. (Another side note: I would recommend doing this for both rides, because on the way home I wound up eating gas station food which was bad-for-me and underwhelming...)


Also, keep your eyes peeled. On my new blog (working along side my new beauty/lifestyle youtube channel) I'll be posting a review on the ready-to-eat meal I snacked on during the drive. 

I arrived at my aunt's just before she left work, so I wound up sitting in my car for a little bit (it was freezing outside) and listening to the radio. I haven't listened to KCMO-radio in quite some time, but it seems like Springfield-radio is a little heavier on the country channels. 

Shortly after my aunt got home, we went to one of her favorite restaurants for supper. We had a really good Greek pizza. The interior of this place had a dining section sectioned off with a wall riddled in person-size square holes. I kept thinking about a dance sequence with people sliding in and out through those holes. Ah, if only life were a musical, am I right? (A clue: no. I can't sing worth crud.)

My aunt has two cats--Pearl, who was a stray cat that my aunt took in, and Dora, Pearl's daughter. They're both curious and playful. Plus gorgeous. I took a ton of pictures of them:


The one on the left is Dora. She's the baby. Shortly after I took this picture, she nearly knocked down that picture frame.

The one on the right is Pearl. She's the mother. She's so elegant, right? And she hides under chairs.


THEY ARE SO CUTE, RIGHT? Gaah. So cute. SO CUTE. 

Whenever I would be getting ready for bed at night, they would rough house against the bathroom door, and longingly stretch their paws out underneath the door. I would let them in, and they'd roll around on the bath mats, explore the bathtub, and jump up on the sing to watch me brush my teeth. 


On Saturday, I woke up pretty early. Lying in bed, I thought about my new beauty and lifestyle youtube channel. My plan is to upload a video every Saturday, and... "OH MY GOODNESS," I thought to myself, "I have a video that I'm supposed to upload TODAY..." 

So, I sat up, got out my computer, and started putting together my first video on my brand new channel. You can, if you want, go watch that video right now, or, if you want, you could go subscribe to my new channel. If you don't want to, that's cool, too, but that's what I did Saturday morning. 

My grandmother lives about an hour away from my aunt, and one of my cousins goes to school nearby.  So, my cousin and his girlfriend were going to visit the grandparents on Saturday, so my aunt and I decided to meet up with everyone in the afternoon. As we were driving up there, we stopped a flea market and looked around. I found two dinosaur welch jelly jars that go along with one we used as a small glass while I was growing up. I didn't take a picture of them, but I wish I had, because I'd like to show you them. They're really cool.

At my grandparents' house, I played a couple of rounds of Chicken Foot with my cousin, his girlfriend, and my grandfather. My cousin won, which would have been a real blow to my ego if I'd been playing the whole game. I'm just kidding, it wouldn't have been a blow to my ego. I usually don't really care about how well/not well I do in games. 

Then, my grandmother worked on fixing supper while my aunt, cousin, cousin's girlfriend, grandfather, and I watched the first episode of Bates Motel. Basically everyone enjoyed it, but I thought it was hard to watch. I mean, it was very well put together. I have trouble with psychological thrillers and "the makings of" serial killers. Then, to make everything worse, it was that cute-kid from Spiderwick and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that was getting turned into a serious-mommy-issues-serial-killer. Plus, there was a really graphic, violent, and descriptive rape scene. It was rough to watch.

One of my grandparents' giant dogs laid on my feet all throughout the episode. I took this lovely picture of him while Norma Baker was stabbing her rapist in the chest multiple times. (Okay, not right then, but you get the idea.)

When my grandmother put the veggie cobbler in the oven, she requested that we take the dogs for a walk. So, Devin, Meghan, Aunt Marci, and I took the dogs for a walk. It was chilly, but not too cold. Bits of the road were slick and icy. The sun was falling. We talked a lot about the wide variety of types of architecture in their neighborhood. It was pretty and pleasant. 


On Sunday, my aunt and I hit up a couple more thrift stores and flea markets. While we were making our way through a Red Racks, my mother called. She wanted to let me know that it was snowing in the metro, and she wanted to make sure I'd call her before I headed home. While we were on our way to a flea market, my father called, letting me know that it was supposed to snow throughout most of the day. He suggested that I stay another night to ensure that I wouldn't drive into any nasty weather. Extending my visit meant missing out on at least my first class on Monday and running out of clean clothes (thank goodness I brought a spare pair of underwear, you know what I mean?), but it also gave me sufficient time to do everything I wanted to while visiting without a significant time crunch. 

So, my aunt and I ht up a couple of flea markets--I didn't take in pictures in the flea markets, but I wish I had. In one, Urban Flea, there were really awesome displays. There was also a mannequin in a phone booth. If that's not prime photography material, I don't know what is.

 I didn't get anything at either of the flea markets, but I got a pretty decent haul at Red Racks (there will be a blog post haul on my other blog sometime, too...)

In the afternoon/early evening, I went to meet up with my friend, Dani. We went to Starbucks and chatted. It's always nice to see her--we went to college together for two years before she transferred, and I miss her SO MUCH. 


She's so cool and pretty. Oh my goodness. We planned on going to a cool downtown cafe, but since we met in the later-afternoon on a Sunday, the only place open was Starbucks. Hopefully I'll be able to meet up with her sometime in the Spring and we can get together in the early-afternoon of a Saturday so we can hang out in one of her favorite cafes. 

In the evening, my aunt and I watched an old movie featuring a very handsome man, taking care of a lost boy, a concerned mother, and my hopes that the handsome man caring for the child would end up with the mother. "You've watched too many Disney movies," my aunt sighed. Oh, but my hopes! My hopes!

The next day, I waited around for a bit so the Springfield roads would clear up some. It prevented me from going to my Monday classes, but I had a fairly safe and easy drive back to the city. 

Anyway. It was a wonderful weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment